March 16, 2014
- Melt the butter in a big frying pan. Add the lamb and brown. Add the onion, celery, leeks, parsnip, carrots, and rutabaga and sauté for about 15 minutes. Add generous salt and pepper.
- Add enough broth to cover everything generously, then add thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and let simmer for 1,5 to 2 hours, until the lamb is very tender. The cooking time depends on the quality of the meat.
- When it’s almost done, about half hour before serving, add the potatoes, if using, and the barley. Cook until tender.
- Sprinkle generously with parsley and serve with a nice piece of soda bread.
- It tastes even better the next day.
from Home Made Winter