February 27, 2014
Note: Make the batter quickly and be careful not to overmix!
1. Preheat the oven to 300F (150C / Gas 2 mark).
2. Grease an 8 x 4 inch (1 liter) loaf pan with melted butter.
3. Mix flour, salt and dry spices. Add the brown sugar, honey and milk. If the batter is too stiff at this point, add a bit more milk. Stir in the dates, the handful of nuts and half of the white chocolate.
4. Pour into your baking pan and bake for one hour until golden. Remove from oven and let cool on a rack.
5. When the cake has cooled, melt the remaining white chocolate au bain marie (using a double boiler or a bowl set over a pot of simmering water). Pour the melted white chocolate over the loaf and sprinkle with the remaining nuts.
6. Store tightly packed in paper or foil to keep that sticky gooeyness that makes this gingerbread so lovely. It will keep for a couple days, if it lasts that long.