Cardamom and Orange Scones
March 25, 2020
- Make the scones: sift the flour, sugar, and salt into a bowl. Cut the butter into small chunks and add it to the flour mixture; use a fork to work the mixture into a crumbly dough. Add the milk, marmalade, and cardamom. Work the mixture quickly and lightly into a smooth dough. Don’t knead too long or the scones will be tough.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 3/4-inch (2-cm) thick. With a cutter or drinking glass, cut 1 1/2-inch (6-cm) rounds. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Reroll the scraps and cut more rounds.
- Let the scones stand for 15 minutes before baking, or make them the night before and let them rest in a cool spot.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (240°C). Bake the scones for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Make the glaze: In a saucepan, heat the marmalade with 2 tbsp water, stir in the cardamom, then press the mixture through a sieve into a bowl. Brush the scones with the syrup and sprinkle them with the orange zest.
- Make the cream: Fold the orange blossom water and honey into the mascarpone and whip until airy. Serve the scones with the mascarpone cream.
for 12 scones ~ from Home Made Winter